The student news site of Travis Ranch Middle School

Blazer Boiler

• October 1910/30 Travis Ranch Vocal Music Fundraiser

• October 1910/23- 10/27 Red Ribbon Week

• September 15Starts 10/30 We Scare Hunger Food Drive

Dedicated From the Waves Up

Age is Only a Number To The Surfing Legend

Kelly Slater continues to continue his legacy as a phenomenal surfer during his twenty year career.

google images

google images

Julia Hunter, Journalist

Kelly Slater is a phenomenal American professional surfer and has been ranked number one in the world for years. Slater has pushed through several years of hardwork and determination and has persevered through the struggles of learning to surf. He is a great role model for those willing to reach their goals and put in excessive amounts of effort. Kelly Slater recently joined the 2017 Men’s Champion Tour, sponsored by Jeep Leaderboard, and has projected his title as a professional surfer greatly. Currently ranked #2, Slater resides in Florida, California, and Hawaii because of the gorgeous beaches and elegant lifestyles which make these amazing locations perfect for a dedicated surfer.
Slater demonstrates his incredible skills as he has been crowned World Surf League Champion a record of eleven times. Along with those incredible awards, Kelly Slater has won the Laureus World Sports Award for Action Sportsperson of the Year. These are amazing accomplishments which were achieved through perspiration in order to make it through tough hurdles. Kelly Slater is currently the youngest and oldest competitor to win the ASP World Championship. Although Quiksilver recently ended their twenty year sponsorship with the incredible surfer, Kelly Slater continues to surf at a high level at the age of thirty-nine. Slater originally won the championship at the young age of twenty, even though he most likely received several remarks about his age and being too young. Slater prospered through discouragement to get where he is today.
Slater is world-renowned surfer as several students around Travis Ranch have comments about the successful athlete. Daniel Mudge is a sixth grader at Travis Ranch who recently met Slater and had the chance to speak to him. “Kelly Slater is a really good surfer who is really good at barrels and loves taking time to meet fans and has a very positive attitude,” Mudge said. In addition, Stevie Sparks also added, “Kelly Slater is an amazing surfer that deserves to be more famous.” Kelly Slater’s personal background is influential to students around the world because it provides a simple message to chase your dreams. Determination is the key to success and Kelly Slater prospered through several acts of discouragement. Kelly Slater is clearly an incredible influence who leads kids in the right direction and encourages all in achieving their hopes and dreams.