The student news site of Travis Ranch Middle School

Blazer Boiler

• October 1910/30 Travis Ranch Vocal Music Fundraiser

• October 1910/23- 10/27 Red Ribbon Week

• September 15Starts 10/30 We Scare Hunger Food Drive

Local Hoops Star Makes Good Back East

Isabella Sparks, Journalist

Katie Lou Samuelson grew up in Huntington Beach, California. She started playing basketball when she was only five years old by playing with her two older sisters Bonnie and Karlie. Between the three they are very competitive. Katie attended Mater Dei High School where she excelled in basketball, in her senior year she was recognized as Gatorade Player of the year meaning she was the best female player in the nation and in 2015 she was the Naismith Girl’s High School player of the year. Katie’s sisters both accepted a scholarship to Stanford University, but two years later Katie broke the chain by attending the University of Connecticut where she was the number one pick in the nation. Samuelson is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut because she would get the most out of her ability and felt like she belonged there. The best advice (from her parents) she was given that she follows every day on the court and in life is to be “confident, but you should never think you are too good because there is always something to improve upon.” She plays guard on the women’s basketball team and has achieved many goals and beyond. Katie had many advantages in prospering due to her two older sisters Bonnie and Karlie who both play basketball.

“Watching them play over the years it really inspired me to become as good as I am now and become a better player,” she said. “They keep making me want to work harder and harder.”

Katie has always had support from her family by her sisters and her dad has taught her everything she knows about basketball and always coached her all the way up until high school. Her parents make effort to be at all of their games because they will never have another chance, they travel back and forth for games only to see their daughters play. She assisted UConn in their record of having won 111 games in a row and will continue to play the next two years on scholarship. Despite taking her teams win streak to record levels, Samuelson’s individual highlight had to be on March 7th where she scored 40 points on behind a perfect 10-10 three point field goals.
With her work ethic and strong support system, there is no doubt that Katie Lou will go forth in her career and become her absolute best.