The student news site of Travis Ranch Middle School

Blazer Boiler

• October 1910/30 Travis Ranch Vocal Music Fundraiser

• October 1910/23- 10/27 Red Ribbon Week

• September 15Starts 10/30 We Scare Hunger Food Drive

Innate or Learned?

The dichotomy of effort vs. skill

Art is one of those subjects that people dismiss as an innate skill, but Ryan Brech is an example that with hard work you can be as successful as you want to be.

Regan Adams

Regan Adams

Ava Allen, Photojournalist

Innate or Learned
Some say you can only be good at something if it’s innate or you are “born with it.” Other people think you can only be great at something if you try your best and work hard. Hard work is an important aspect to becoming great, but talent can also be important. Talent is a natural ability that someone has. Hard work is when you put everything you can into something. When you are working hard you get to learn more and you’re going to improve more because you’re practicing so much.
Travis Ranch student Rachael Knox stated, “I believe in hard work because you can learn more from working hard and practicing.”
Find an Interest
When you have already figured out something quickly and your really good at it, you don’t need to practice as much, but sometimes you just can’t do something and maybe having talent at something might come in handy. For example getting into a good college or scholarships, getting on a team, or a spelling bee. Always know that there will be someone better than you, so don’t give up, if you like it.
Add Variety
Everyone is good at something, but sometimes you don’t find out what it is for some time. When you try something new it could turn out to be a good or bad experience, but you tried. It is in the try that people sometimes surprise themselves and find something they excel at.
Sixth grader Anthony Cimino says, “Everyone has talent, you just have to discover it.”
Don’t Go it Alone
Most of the time when you are practicing something with someone you end up learning more and end up having something to do with someone. For example, if you are just starting to play a sport like baseball and you are learning how to field a ground ball you need to learn all the steps and put them into your muscle memory. This will take hard work and a lot of practice, but isn’t it worth it? If you know already how to field a ground ball, but you don’t have muscle memory you might have trouble making the play because you can’t make a play without getting the ball in your glove. Everyone has different opinions and not everyone is going to agree on everything, but do you think talent or hard work is more important? Whatever your stance on this issue, just keep exposing yourself to new adventures and maybe, just maybe, you will find a new path to success.