The student news site of Travis Ranch Middle School

Blazer Boiler

• October 1910/30 Travis Ranch Vocal Music Fundraiser

• October 1910/23- 10/27 Red Ribbon Week

• September 15Starts 10/30 We Scare Hunger Food Drive

WE Got This

Popular club at Travis continues to make a difference

WE+Club+members+pose+for+a+picture+after+handing+out+all+of+their+canned+food+and+hygiene+products+collected+from+WE+Scare+Hunger.+
WE Club members pose for a picture after handing out all of their canned food and hygiene products collected from WE Scare Hunger.

WE Club Member

WE Club Member

Stephanie Weitzman and Regan Adams

Every year around the world, numerous students, celebrities, and emotional speakers come together in several locations to participate in the annual WE Day. This year, Travis Ranch WE Club participated in the WE Day that took place on April 27, 2017 at the Los Angeles Forum with several other schools all over Southern California. Other WE Day locations included Seattle, Washington and Toronto, Canada from September of 2016 to April of 2017. Travis Ranch’s WE Club has participated in this event for dozens of years and will continue to as the experiences and memories made truly impact everyone involved. This amazing event was hosted by Selena Gomez, along with appearances from Rowan Blanchard, Evan Goldberg, and several other major influences. WE Day was truly a time of great laughter and joyous times which will stick with its participants for numerous years.

“WE Day was a great experience because we surrounded ourselves with people who want to make a difference in their community.” explained eighth grade WE Club member Jordyn Lee.

Having been a part of Travis Ranch for several years, WE Club is a group of students in grades six through eighth working together to create an impact in our world. Through collection drives, fundraisers, and community service projects, this amazing organization inspires others to find the ‘WE’ in them and change their environment. This year, WE Club has participated in helping less fortunate families with gathering necessities such as food and clothing. Additionally, WE Club focused on collecting funds to help supply clean water to rural China.

Mrs. Hellwig, the WE Club director here at Travis Ranch, explained how this amazing organization can make a huge impact in our community.

“WE Club inspires students to ‘act’ and make a difference in their world by helping others. Students feel empowered and recognize that many little changes lead to big changes in our world.”

During the school year, numerous drives benefitting our community and around the world were put on by WE Club. Along with Halloween, October brought a nonperishable canned food and hygiene products drive, in which all resources donated were brought to the Mckinney Vento Food Pantry and were then distributed to families in our community. This drive helped ensure everyone has the opportunity to thrive with these necessities. WE Won’t Rest came around during the Holiday season of December, collecting soft blankets and socks in order to keep everyone warm and cozy during the chilly, winter season. All items collected were brought to the OC Rescue Mission and truly spread cheer among all involved. JUMP and WE Club partnered up and put on a baby shower drive to collect various baby items ranging from diapers to baby food and bottles. Numerous items were collected and donated to the OC rescue Mission and the Homeless Intervention Shelter and House.

Ongoing rafiki sales have been a huge success thus far, not only in our community, but also globally. Me to WE is one of the numerous kinds of rafiki bracelets WE Club is selling, which gives education to a child in need for every piece sold. Furthermore, Water is another kind of rafiki bracelet, supplying clean water to struggling communities around the world. Additionally, Food rafikis supply meals to families who do not regularly have access to cuisine. Moreover, Health is another variety of rafiki bracelets, which supplies medication and vitamins to children. Although WE Club did not sell every kind of bracelet, they still made an impact in our world with the hope to better developing communities.

Hannah Bucklin, a seventh grade member, described how much she enjoys taking part in WE Club’s ongoing rafiki sales.

“Selling rafikis is a great way to get involved in your community and it is refreshing to see such great participation at our school.

A major inspiration and impactful organization, WE Club most definitely works to create a better environment for communities all around the world. This group’s dedication will hopefully one day end various issues currently being faced in countries such as homelessness and world hunger.