The student news site of Travis Ranch Middle School

Blazer Boiler

• October 1910/30 Travis Ranch Vocal Music Fundraiser

• October 1910/23- 10/27 Red Ribbon Week

• September 15Starts 10/30 We Scare Hunger Food Drive

You Snooze You Win

While it seems as though 3:35 is late to get out of school, kids can benefit from the extra sleep they get in the morning.

Hannah Lock

Hannah Lock

Hanna Lock, Photojournalist

Is starting school too early in the morning bad for teens? School start time is a huge world wide debate. For teens to be fully alert and aware throughout the day, they need up to eight to ten hours of sleep. However, only fifteen percent of teens reported to be sleeping an average of eight and half hours, according to the National Sleep Foundation website. Teens already have irregular sleep patterns and starting school earlier doesn’t help in any way. Not getting enough sleep can affect your brain in a negative way. For example, it can limit your ability to learn, concentrate, and solve problems. If teens keep dozing off during class, they will be missing important information. Sleepy teens can lead to failing classes.

“Middle school is suppose to prep you for high school, but it really isn’t when next year we have to go to school an hour earlier.” -Raquelle Ngue

Doctors are urging school start times to be 8:30 or later, sighting a better opportunity for a healthier start to the day. Instead of grabbing sugary foods like an energy drink to feel more awake, teens will have more time to fuel their bodies with healthier food options. Some fruits and vegetables can promote sleep and some foods like those high in caffeine can interfere with sleep. Too much or too little sleep can revamp your appetite in a negative way. At Travis Ranch School, elementary starts at 8:30 while middle school begins at 8:50 in large part to accommodate the bussing of students. Also, being a K-8 school, there needs to be a staggering of times elementary school to allow for a manageable dismissal process.

Having solutions to getting more sleep could help teens be more alert and aware during class. Getting enough sleep helps you stay healthy, happy, and smart. Also, making your sleep a priority can help you want and get more sleep. Having a consistent bed and wake-up time will allow your body to be in sync resulting in natural sleep patterns. With this type of routine, it will even help your body to fall asleep faster. Leaving your homework to the last minute won’t help you get good sleep if you’re have to pull an all nighter. Meaning if you have homework, get it done as fast and efficient as you can. Even eating or exercise could affect on how well you can fall asleep. During the hour before going to bed, stick to small quiet activities and it could help you fall asleep much faster.

“School starts too late which means we get out too late, kids don’t get home until 4:00 and then starting homework is too late.” -Mrs. Saltzman

Starting school later is better for teens because they won’t be so tired, they will be more observant and mindful which will cause less stress and anxiety over their school work. All this will make them less grumpy too. Later start times support a healthier lifestyle both in diet and sleep patterns and can be beneficial to academic success.