The student news site of Travis Ranch Middle School

Blazer Boiler

• October 1910/30 Travis Ranch Vocal Music Fundraiser

• October 1910/23- 10/27 Red Ribbon Week

• September 15Starts 10/30 We Scare Hunger Food Drive

Mr. Versatility

Travis teacher uses many avenues to inspire learning.

Stephanie Weitzman, Photojournalist

A “Spongebob Squarepants” guru and video game expert, Mr. Plunkett is an all around great educator and person to hang out with. You may have even seen this “Mario Kart” expert play as the lead guitarist at a concert or two with his former band, The Rambles.
Having been teaching at Travis Ranch for seven years now, along with one year of student teaching, Mr. Plunkett continues to inspire students and fellow instructors to work hard everyday, with a little fun. Originally, Mr. Plunkett focused on computer science and worked for Yamaha as a sound designer, but with the economy crash in 2008, Mr. Plunkett looked to teaching as a new career. Growing up, Mr. Plunkett has always loved learning and teaching a wide variety of subjects. Before obtaining a job at Travis, Mr. Plunkett tutored students at Ruby Drive Elementary School and calculus students at Valencia High School.
“I have always enjoyed learning and teaching, especially since education and school was always a top priority in my house growing up.” Mr. Plunkett expressed.
In his free time, Mr. Plunkett enjoys playing music, with his iconic Spongebob Squarepants ukulele, and various outdoor activities, such as mountain climbing. Additionally, Mr. Plunkett also loves to travel and spend quality time with his friends and family.
Throughout this school year, Mr. Plunkett has taught Math 6, Math 6 Accelerated, and Algebra 1. In addition to math, Plunkett has also taught Social Science and Honors Social Science in previous years.
Tawny Khong, an eighth grade student at Travis Ranch Middle School, commented “Mr. Plunkett may be a fun and creative teacher, but still is able to teach our class with efficiency, so we know everything for the test. I should know, I’ve had him as a teacher for three years.”
As a teacher, Mr. Plunkett hopes students will understand the importance of education and how all subjects are connected.
“I like all subjects, especially history and math. It is cool to see how all subjects relate to each other and can be applied to our daily lives.”
Staff at Travis Ranch are always encouraged to take part in school activities and be engaged in the excitement. Mr. Plunkett loves to participate in school events such as pep rallies- and with that brings crazy costumes, goofy mascot speeches, and creative airband performances as a treat for everyone. At the most recent pep rally, sixth graders and teachers versus seventh and eighth graders, Mr. Plunkett performed as the mascot with a group of his sixth grade students. Several laughs and smiles filled the room with Mr. Plunkett’s rendition of the “Spongebob Squarepants” theme song, securing the win for teachers and sixth graders. It is this tyoe of spirit that earned him the 2016 Yearbook Dedication Award.
Mr. Plunkett also enjoys participating in all the latest fads. Fidget spinners and bottle flipping have filled the 2016-2017 school year with excitement and popularity, and this amazing teacher has not failed to join in on the fun.
Dylan Lee, a sixth grader student of Mr. Plunkett’s, explained “It’s always cool to see Mr. Plunkett, as well as other teachers, out at break playing games with us, such as bottle flipping.”
Teaching at Travis Ranch is not always easy, but with the help of amazing staff like Mr. Plunkett, students are able to have fun in their classes with exciting lessons and creative projects. Looking towards the future, Mr. Plunkett hopes to continue teaching at Travis Ranch for as long as he can, with the aid of talented pupils, exceptional staff, and a charismatic attitude.