Blazer Boiler

• June 1Final Yearbook Sales June 12-14 (break and lunch) while supplies last

• June 1Pop Show- 8-9PM Wednesday June 6th (gym)

• June 1End of The Year Concert June 7th 6-8pm (Upper Field)

The Power of Paint

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Power of Paint

Alexa Ducros and Ava Fidel diligently working on the We Club mural.

Olivia Edwards

Olivia Edwards

Olivia Edwards

Olivia Edwards, Photojournalist

Recently students in the WE Club at Travis Ranch Middle School dedicated one of the schools hallways to popular figures who positively impacted the world. Malala Yousafzai, Dalai Lama, Rosa Parks, Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, Anne Frank, and Pope Francis decorate the school hallway. The portraits symbolize the world we live in and not only the accomplishments we have made but, the accomplishments yet to come.  

WE Who?:

The WE  organization is a charity that partners with schools and other organizations to help people all over the world. They have many different programs like WE Schools, We Village, WE Charity and ME to WE which help build schools, take food to others and overall help as many communities all around the world as much as they can. Travis Ranch Middle School has their own WE club which holds food and clothing drives as well as help clean ups around the school. Around April all schools that participate in the WE club activities get to attend WE Day which is a coming together of all the schools and a celebration of creating a better world.

Prominent in Paint:

The schools main goal for the mural is to get their students to recognize and respect the prominent figures who had positive impacts on the world. Mr. Faller the Art teacher as well as organizer of the schools mural says,”I think the mural is about hope and change around the world,I felt that the stenciled effect of the figures would give a more serious nature their persons while the paint swashes on the top and bottom created an overall energy and movement in the mural.” Mrs. Hellwig the head of the WE club at Travis Ranch Middle School said,”WE Club is committed to changing the world through many actions of kindness, service, and charity.  We wanted to promote messages of goodwill publicly so that all students were reminded daily that they can change the world! We voted on spending $1500 of their club budget to commission the painting of a mural depicting historical figures around the world that made a positive impact through their actions.  We also included quotes in hope that students are encouraged by this mural to be kind, do good, help others, and make a positive difference in their world!” A couple of students Ava Fidel (8) and Alexa Ducros (8) who have been working on the mural for a few weeks noted,”The mural symbolizes a positive message and how these well known figures impacted the world; we hope that these paintings inspire people to make the world a better place.”

“The mural symbolizes a positive message and how these well known figures impacted the world; we hope that these paintings inspire people to make the world a better place.”

Building a Better You:

From Malala Yousafzai who persevered and fought for an equal education for both men and women to Mahatma Gandhi who led his country to independence from the British Empire anything can spark you to do something powerful. No act of kindness is too small and no kind word is too short. By staying true to yourself, and always doing the right thing, maybe someday you can be the inspiration for others and positive change the world needs.