Blazer Boiler

• June 1Final Yearbook Sales June 12-14 (break and lunch) while supplies last

• June 1Pop Show- 8-9PM Wednesday June 6th (gym)

• June 1End of The Year Concert June 7th 6-8pm (Upper Field)

Archery; A How To

This fun PE activity always brings out the joy in its participants.

Travis Ranch introduced archery to the 7th and 8th graders for a fun and different experience. On this 3 week adventure, almost everyone enjoyed shooting for the first time. As most think archery is just shooting an arrow and hoping to hit your target, it is more complex than others think. This activity is great for those who are interested in new experiences and want to have a fun time, while building up your hand-eye coordination, it may even interest others to do this activity.

In order shoot you must have the right formation, this means having a straight posture, feet shoulder length apart, and have your opposite side of your dominant hip facing the target. Make sure to hold out your bow, palm facing down, put the arrow on the bow (odd fletching facing up), pull back until the notch attaches to the string of the bow, hold up with 2 or 3 fingers, pulling back to your jawbone, release, and for others safety, don’t move until the arrow hits your target or the ground.

Archery is a sport that is today in the Olympics, with the last winner of the olympics in the category of archery were Ku Bon-chan (Men individual), Ku Bon-chan, Lee Seung-yun, Kim Woo-Jin (Team), and Chang Hye-jin (Women individual). The beginning of archery dates back to 20,000 years ago (or the Stone Ages), where it was first used for only for hunting/war. It was up until 1027 B.C. was it finally introduced as entertainment, and not just for war.

Nicolas Borelli was one of the 180 participants and really took to the activity. ” It’s fun and exciting, and how Mr.Shay keeps everyone safe, it comforts me to know that nothing bad will happen,” he said.

Seventh grader Logan Kemp added, “It’s exciting… It’s better than most activities we’ve done.”

This just proves how others love to do archery. This new experience for others see it rather difficult or out of the ordinary, while others see it easy and enjoyable to shoot for their first time. Most are already excited to do archery next year, and can’t wait to see why others enjoy archery so much.

Here are a few tips to making your next archery adventure more successful:

• A straight posture
  • Feet shoulder length apart
  • Have your non dominant hip facing the target
  • Make sure to hold out your bow, palm facing down
  • Put the arrow on the bow (odd fletching facing up)
  • Pull back until the notch attaches to the string of the bow
  • Hold up with 2 or 3 fingers, pulling back to your jawbone
  • Release with both eyes open
  • And for others safety, don’t move until the arrow hits your target or the ground.