Blazer Boiler

• April 1Career Day 4/12

• April 1End of 3rd Quarter Minimum Day 4/12

• April 1MS Dance 4/26 After School

A Fond Farewell

A Travis legend says goodbye.

Abigail Huhn, Photojournalist

After all of the years Mrs. Moody has taught, this year was her last. Mrs. Moody has taught at Travis Ranch for 19 years. The  subject that she has taught for most of her time is Language Arts, but this year, she also taught one period of PE. In her Language Arts class, she teaches 7th grade, and in PE, she teaches 8th and 7th.

Before this school year ends, I had the chance to interview her before she was gone. Enjoy these questions and answers to get to know Mrs. Moody.

1. Why did you decide to start teaching?

One of my teachers inspired me to become a teacher. I’m a people person and I wanted to help children understand the world.

1. How long have you been teaching?

I have been teaching 24 years.

1. When did you start teaching here at Travis?

I started teaching at Travis Middle School in 1999.

1. What was your favorite memory at this school?

My favorite memories/memory was when students returned from promoting MS and graduating HS and share their memories of when they were in middle school. Particularly, one student who was grateful for the monotonous task of writing outlines; they were awful at the time but oh so beneficial to know.

1. Have you ever thought about a different career? If so, what?

Yes, I wanted to be a tour guide in France.

1. What are some of your plans for retirement?

I will be spending time with my first grandchild, improve my golf game, begin my daily exercise routine, travel, and freshen up on my HS French.

1. Why did you decide to teach Language Arts?

I developed a curiosity for words in elementary school; grammar and writing were easy for me so I started sharing stories and thoughts through writing.

1. What was the best part of your job?

The best part of my “job” was always gaining new perspectives from my colleagues and students.

1. Are you happy with what you achieved while teaching?

Yes, I am extremely happy to have been a part of students experiencing the Middle School years.  It can be a demanding time but it is always a rewarding feeling to see positive changes in individuals and families.

1. What will you miss most about teaching?

I will most miss working with amazing professional educators. They seem to have all the answers.  I will miss the highly motivated students who just can’t get enough information and keep coming back for more.

1. What are you most proud of while teaching?

I am most proud to have been a Professional in Education. Every day brings new knowledge; good or bad it teaches us flexibility and tolerance. Being around teachers, students, and their families, and a part of a community helps one feel valued.

“I like Mrs. Moody because she is always there when we need something, we say bye to each other after class, and she is a kind, caring, and amazing teacher.” -Brooke Wackerman.