Blazer Boiler

• April 1Career Day 4/12

• April 1End of 3rd Quarter Minimum Day 4/12

• April 1MS Dance 4/26 After School

On The Right Track

Back to Article
Back to Article

On The Right Track

Brian Shay

Brian Shay

Brian Shay

Kunle Ande, Photojournalist

It’s approaching Spring time at Travis Ranch and that means it is time for the Placentia Yorba Linda Unified District Track Meet, hosted by the REACH Foundation. The event, held on March 28th at Yorba Linda High School, is a culmination of 5 weeks of student preparation and brings students from all 6 middle schools together.

All students at Travis are invited to participate if  they can make the practices, which are Mondays and Thursdays for one hour after school. These practices consist of a series of stretches,  intense workouts, and specific repetition in their area of interest. Students chose to participate in track to get into to better shape and improve their cardio. Events that students participate in are sprints, relays and field events.

Field events involved are high jump,long jump,shot put. 6th grader, Landon Mills participates in shot put and said he enjoys “every second” of it.  

Running events consist of the popular 100m, as well as the more specialized 200m, 300m, 1600m (mile), and team relays (4x100m and 4x200m). Team relays require you to communicate and trust your teammates while you pass a baton.

The reason kids love this experience so much is because it allows them to improve their running while getting to know people outside your friend group. Mason Farley, a returner from last year’s team, agrees that the people make the event, not just the competition. “I choose to do track because I enjoy running and it is a great experience where you can connect with other kids with the same interest as you.”   

The Travis track team has been under the leadership of Mr. Shay and Mrs. Buckley for 5 years now and each year more and more people are interested in joining track. The program has been able to run for many years and by the looks of it, track is going into a strong direction for the future. “There is always a great mix of returners and new participants that lead to a great group of young athletes. Just being out there they are able to find a new competitive side to themselves,” said Mr. Shay.

Post Meet Results

• Drake Hammond(8th Grade)- 1st in 100m
  • Faith Bucklin(7th Grade)- 1st in 200m
  • Mack Fowler(6th Grade)- 3rd in 100m