State Testing

State+Testing

Amber Fischel, Contributor

last week, it was the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress system (CAASPP)

State testing was last week and I bet you’re all wondering why we have to do it. So in this article, I will be explaining what state testing is, and why we have to do it.

The (CAASPP) system was established in 2014, the primary purpose is to assist teachers, administrators, students, and parents by promoting high-quality teaching and learning through a variety of assessments.

Who does state testing? Anyone in 3rd grade or higher does state testing, but not everyone has to do it because you can opt-out with parental permission. 

What is state testing? State testing is a big test that we have to take. It does not affect your grade. It is just to see what you have learned and how well the teachers have taught you. Although it doesn’t affect our grades, you should still try your best because you will get the results back, and people in the future will look at that, including colleges.

When is state testing? State testing is at a different time for each state/district/ or school, but for Travis Ranch, it was between May 16 to May 20th.

How do we do state testing? We set up our computer to the secure testing network and do the test. It may be longer than a usual test but that’s almost the only difference. The assessments are also “adaptive”, meaning the test may get more difficult or easier, depending on how you’re taking it.

A lot of people don’t like state testing and don’t want to do it because it doesn’t affect our grades. If you really think about it, it’s a good opportunity to freshen up your skills before the end of the year, and before we move on to the next grade.

So state testing might be long and sometimes a little boring, but state testing is still a good way to work your brain and get better at what you know.

So don’t stress, do your best, and forget the rest.